Barrenjoey Lighthouse Walk
The official lighthouse began operating in 1868 and consisted of two wooden structures 700 metres apart, the Stewart Towers, both of which were erected as temporary navigation aids.
In 1873 it was recommended by Francis Hixson (president if the Marine Board of NSW) that a single permanent lighthouse replace the Stewart Towers. Plans were then drawn up and the present-day lighthouse constructed during 1880-81.
Three other men had a significant involvement with the lighthouse:
James Barnet - The Colonial Architect, Issac Banks - A mason and George Whiting - Providing the funding.
The sandstone used to construct the lighthouse as quarried from the top of the headland with other materials being horse-hauled up a trolley track from a jetty below.
The original light was a fixed red (non-flashing) and fueled by kerosene. In 1932 it was changed to a automated white group flash (4 every 20 seconds) powered by acetylene gas.
With automation the lightkeepers were no longer needed and withdrawn. This left the are unprotected fro vandals who stripped the cottages and did irrepairable damage.
The Cottages were once again reoccupied during the 1950's and since then have been greatly improved through restoration work by the tenants. In 1972 the light became electrified, with a power of 75,000 candelas, from the main power with a backup emergency battery-start generator.
Image Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999 Lighthouse
Computer Training & Development, 9 Richard Avenue, Ocean Grove,
Victoria 3226, Australia. All rights reserved.
The Barrenjoey Lighthouse is at an elevation of 113 metres above sea-level provides a range of 19 nautical miles. The stone tower of the lighthouse is 11.5 metres high with the lantern room and dome adding another 8 metres to its height.
Guided Walks are conducted every Sunday, every half hour from 11:00 AM to 03:00 PM (weather permitting).
Tours will not run on Christmas Day and New Year's Day
Cost: $5 adults, $2 children - no bookings required.
Kalkari Discovery Centre,
Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park,
Mt Colah NSW 2079
Phone: 9472 9300 or 9472 9301
- Heart of Manly Heritage Walk
- Eastern Hill Heritage Walk
- Manly Heritage Plaques
- Manly to Spit Bridge Scenic Walkway
- Manly to Shelly Beach
- Fairfax Walk - North Head
- Barrenjoey Lighthouse
- From The Crown to the Sea
- Pittwater Bushwalking Tracks and Guide
- Walks Home
- Things to See and Do Home
- Visitor Information Home
Manly & Northern Beaches Information
- Whats New
- Special Offers
- What's On
- Shopping Showcase
- Visitor Information
- Weather Forecast
- Local Map
- Visual Gallery
- News Stories
- Facebook Directory
- Business Search
- Business Classifieds
- Things To Do
- Food & Wine
- Real Estate
- Wedding Services
- Functions & Conferences
- Health, Sport & Fitness
- Transport & Travel