Manly Eastern Hill Heritage Walk
seclusion of this beach makes it possible to recall the life of
the Aborigines before European contact. The mainstay of their diet
was fish, and they were highly skilled at fishing in a variety of
ways. They fished from the rocks, in the water, while swimming and
from canoes; women used lines and men spears, with several points.
Men made spears from the spikes of grass trees, hardened in the
fire and tipped with bone. Both men and women used fine lines made
of fibrous bark from Cabbage Tree palms or wattles, soaked in water
for strength. Hooks were commonly made from shell or bone. Bait,
other fish, was usually cast on the water. There was often a small
fire aboard the canoe for cooking the fish. Children went fishing
too, and had smaller spears suited to their size. Groups would gather
on the shore to feast if a whale was stranded. In some other places
along the harbour's edge, Aborigines engraved the outlines of animals
and people on the rock. Some hand stencils are also still present.
visible remains here today of Aboriginal culture, except the occasional
midden - a collection of shells and fish bones. But Aborigines still
lived at Spring Cove from time to time, the last as recently as
To continue the walk, cross the beach and climb the track
to the left of the waterfall. Follow the path from here to the right
to the Australian Institute of Police Management.
the sign to Parkhill Cottage, built in 1921 as the residence for
the medical officer attached to the Quarantine Station. It was later
occupied by the Department of Defence, and more recently as a day
centre for Manly Hospital.
left at the T-junction at the top of the hill.
World War I and World War II, North Head was an important strategic
point. From 1936 defences were established, including a 9.2 inch
gun. From 1945 to 1997 the Royal Artillery School was based here.
It was involved with the Manly community, especially on official
occasions, such as the annual Anzac Day ceremony at Manly's Cenotaph
in the Corso. From 1901 walls were built on both sides of the
road, to separate the Quarantine Station from St Patrick's College.
Walk beside the archway, which has changed in function. On its original
site, it formed the gateway to the Quarantine Station. In 1921 new
walls were built to separate the new hospital from the Quarantine
Station. The gateway was moved as part of an employment project
during the Depression. The archway was renamed to commemorate the
opening of Parkhill, Reserve by the Hon. A. Parkhill MP in 1933.
until you reach Manly Hospital.
Hospital during moving in process - 27 October 1931]
first hospital was opened in 1896, on the corner of Raglan Street
and Quinton Road adjacent to Ivanhoe Park. This hospital treated
a variety of conditions, but enteric diseases in 27 October 1931
particular, as the incidence was higher in Manly than many other
parts of Sydney because of poor sanitary conditions. The first hospital
was soon too small. In October 1917, twelve acres of land were granted
at North Head for a new hospital, which was not built until 1927.
This hospital could not be used until 1931, when nurses' accommodation
was completed, and patients and nurses could move in together.
hospital has always been strongly supported by the community, and
half of the money for building it was raised locally. Fund-raising
events, in particular the Venetian Carnivals, have continued to
support further needs.
down the left side of Darley Road to the Archbishop's Residence.
you are not taking the Collins Beach route, go back down Stuart
Street towards Little Manly Cove, and turn right at Marshall Street,
to climb the hill to Darley Road.
1885 there were houses in Addison and Darley roads, described as
`wretched little cottages with which some greedy wretch defiled
the landscape'. Would you say that this is still the case today?
Darley Road, turn right, and you will see the Archbishop's Residence
on the right-hand side of the road, next to St Paul's College.
the 1850s the NSW government was anxious to see both Anglican and
Catholic archbishops properly housed. After deliberation over various
sites, 60 acres of land at Manly were promised to the Catholic Church
in 1859. The grant was finally signed in 1879. The Archbishop's
residence, commonly referred to as the Cardinal's Palace, was built
in the domestic Gothic style and finished in 1886. It cost £10,000,
a considerable sum in those days. The first cardinal to live here
was Cardinal Moran, whose coat of arms can be seen on the wall of
the building. There is also a private chapel in the building, on
the first floor. Cardinal Moran died here in 1911 but was buried
in St Mary's Cathedral, Sydney. There are some magnificent trees
in the grounds, which extend to the foreshore at Collins Beach.
St Paul's College, a boys' high school, opened in 1929 and occupies
part of the grounds.
the road to the main entrance to St Patrick's College. The International
College of Tourism and Hotel Management is the current lessee of
the buildings. Through the gates can be seen the back of the Cerretti
Cerretti Chapel, designed by the same firm of architects as the
college, was opened on 18 November 1935. It is named after a visiting
cardinal, the first Apostolic delegate in Australia. Before it was
built, there was no appropriate chapel building for the students
and staff of the college.
a few metres down Darley Road to the lower gates, through which
can be seen.
was Cardinal Moran's vision to establish a college to provide Australia
with locally trained Catholic priests. It was appropriately isolated,
as the novices were expected to lead a secluded life. They were
only allowed out for a walk once a week, together in file, and were
not allowed to talk to anyone (Manly today might not be considered
as suitable for those requiring extreme seclusion!).
college building was designed by Sydney architects Sheerin &
Hennessy, and is similar to their design for St Joseph's College
in Hunters Hill; the style blends Gothic and Romanesque. It was
constructed in sandstone, originally quarried locally but later
shipped from Pyrmont. A city of tents accommodated the 200 workers
during the three years it took to complete the building. W. B. Dalley,
a local Catholic, referred to the rising college as `that imperial
building'. There was, however, some local opposition to the building
by non-Catholic members of Manly Council.
Patricks Estate, 1947]
19 November 1885, Cardinal Moran laid the cornerstone, using a silver
trowel and mallet, and blessed the building. It was a magnificent
occasion. The cardinal in red robes and bishops in purple came from
Woolloomooloo in a special ferry, which landed them on the harbour
side of the church property. After the ceremony everyone descended
to Shelly Beach for lunch in a marquee.
over three years later, at the official opening on January 1889,
Cardinal Moran presided in white and gold robes. He took a personal
interest in the development of the college. His initials, PFM, and
his motto, `Omnia omnibus', are carved at the base of the central
tower. For many years this splendour associated with the college
was renewed in annual Corpus Christi processions, when crowds of
as many as 75,000 lined Darley Road to the college.
College tower afforded a signaller's lookout during World War I.
It was at this time that the grounds were divided by the extension
of Darley Road onto North Head for strategic reasons. The walls
that flank the road were a condition of this intrusion into the
reclusive life of the College.
down Darley Road and turn right into Vivian Street. Pause at the
corner of Fairy Bower Road.
is Bear Cottage, opened in 2001 to provide respite for sick children
and their families.
Walk down Fairy Bower Road through the lane at the eastern
end. Go down the steps and turn right in to Addison Road. Turn right
at Reddall Street, and St Patrick's College will be visible again.
laying the foundation stone of St Patrick's College, 19 November