| The Heart of Manly Heritage Walk
Sydney Road to the entrance of Ivanhoe Park
on image to enlarge]
the oval can be seen St Andrew's Presbyterian church which was opened
in 1890. This Romanesque style building, with its commanding bell-tower,
was designed by John Sulman. In 1884 the first Presbyterian services
in Manly were held at Fernbank, West Esplanade, the home of C.H. Hayes,
Mayor of Manly.
Sydney Road as far as the Tony Miller grandstand
the opposite side of the road a high sandstone wall is surmounted
by two gargoyles. This is all that remains of the residence Marinella,
commonly known as Dalley's Castle. It was built in 1881 by William
Bede Dalley, lawyer and statesman. His wife, Eleanor Jane, died
of typhoid when it was being built and Dalley himself only lived
there for about three years. For many years it was owned by the
McGaw family, but for a decade it was unoccupied and became dilapidated.
Then in 1932 the Rev. C.H. Palmer purchased it and with renovations
and extensions it became the Camden Grammar School. In 1939 this
towering landmark was demolished and the existing flats, also named
Marinella, were built.
first wild flower shows were held in Ivanhoe Park. Native flora
used to grow in abundance around Manly including Christmas bush
which was used to decorate church pews and shop fronts at Christmas.
Alderman C.H.Hayes initiated the first Manly Wild Rower Show in
1881 to raise funds for the extension of St Matthew's church. It
was held in the Ivanhoe Park pavilion, an old weatherboard construction
with an iron roof. A canvas annexe housed orchids and ferns. The
first show was for one Saturday afternoon only, but it became very
popular and for about a decade it was an annual event lasting for
Stalls were decorated with beautiful bouquets and impressive floral
epresentations of the British crown, hearts, harps, lakes and ships.
children entertained visitors with Maypole dancing. At night the
grounds were illuminated with Chinese lanterns.
east along Sydney Road crossing Belgrave Street to Whistler Street
some months in 1902 famous writer and poet, Henry Lawson and his
wife Bertha, rented the dwellings Marlow and then Ladywood, both
in Whistler Street. They were married in 1896 and had two young
children. Henry Lawson wrote several poems about Manly, including
'The Cliffs', 'The Stranded Ship'- about the Vincennes, a barque
that went aground at North Steyne - and 'The Bards Who Lived at
Manly' which illustrates this period of his life. (This poem is
reproduced on plaque 4). Bertha recognised his genius, but his frequent
drinking bouts with bohemian friends and his inability to support
his family led her to seek a legal separation in 1903.
oldest existing ecclesiastical building in Manly is the Gothic Revival
style Congregational church. It was built in 1862 in sandstone with
an attractive timber interior. The original stained glass is still
in good condition but the slate roof has been replaced with concrete
tiles. Two trustees of this church John Fairfax and David Jones
were founders of important Sydney institutions. Fairfax was the
first proprietor of the Sydney Morning Herald and David Jones started
the chain of retail stores which bear his name. The foundation stone
of the adjoining church hall was laid by Sir James R. Fairfax in
1907. Before this church was built services were originally held
in the house of John Trenchard Smith at the comer of The Corso and
East Esplanade. .
along Sydney Road and glance to the left along Short Street
Mary's Roman Catholic church is glimpsed at the end of Short Street.
The nave of this church was built in the early 1890s and additions
were made in 1909. On the right is Roycroft Arcade leading to Market
Place, and Manly's new library designed by Feiko Bouman, renowned
Sydney architect also responsible for the prizewinning Stockman's
Hall of Fame in Queensland. In 1989 this end of Sydney Road was
closed to traffic and made into a pedestrian mall, linking it with
Here are the offices of the Manly Daily newspaper founded by Edward
Lincoln. The first issue, a single folded page, came out on 28 July
1906. Apart from the first few months when it was printed in Sydney
the Manly Daily was produced in Manly, but in 1989 production and
printing moved to the headquarters of its proprietors the Cumberland
Group in Parramatta. It was the first free newspaper to be published
in New South Wales, and remains the only one to be published five
days a week. Its growth has mirrored the development of Manly.
changing use of buildings reflects the needs of the community they
serve. In 1916 Pacific Point was a cinema called the Britannia. It
was renamed the Olympic in honour of Manly's champions: Boy Charlton,
Dick Eve and Nick Winter, gold medallists in 1924 at the Paris Olympics.
In 1934 as the New Olympic it was a venue for vaudeville theatre.
Dobbs Bros. converted the building into a furniture store in about
1936. In the post-war economic boom of the 1950s Waltons Ltd bought
the site and opened their furniture and home appliances store on 3
December 1954. In the 1970s the building was converted into offices
and an auction room. The shops and arcade linking Sydney Road with
Henrietta Lane were constructed in 1983.
by the sculpture Wind and Wave at the junction of Sydney Road and
of stainless steel, it is the work of distinguished Melbourne sculptor,
Lenton Parr, noted for his works in welded steel. It was funded
by the State government as part of a Bicentennial grant to Manly
in 1988. The sculpture captures the essence of Manly's ocean beach.
The Bicentennial project also included the construction of the Sydney
Look above the awnings at the shop fronts which feature circular
windows and elaborate decorations including garlands and ribbons,
in the Art Nouveau style. This international style of art, popular
from the 1890s to 1914, emphasised asymmetrical forms of nature.