(formerly Balgowlah Public School)
Corner Frenchs Forest & Sydney Roads, Seaforth
1893/4 a new school house for 81 pupils was erected here on about
two acres of land resumed from Andrew Hinchcliff's estate. It was
built of local stone by James Booth of Pittwater for £260. It replaced
an earlier school established by the Government in 1881, which had
been housed in an existing weatherboard cottage. The area was still
semi rural and relatively isolated. In 1936 land to the north was
acquired for the present Seaforth Public School which opened in
1940. The original school building stood empty until 1944 when it
was converted into a children's library and craft centre by a group
of local women. In 1945 the Balgowlah/Seaforth Library was officially
opened and receives an annual subsidy from Manly Council. In 1978,
after libraries were established in public schools, membership was
extended to adults. Today, the original old stone building is heritage
listed and remains a monument to the community efforts that have
courtesy: Manly, Warringah & Pittwater Historical Society
St Paul's Church, Seaforth
(on reverse of Balgowlah/Seaforth Library plaque)
1843 Anglican worship on the peninsula was centred around St Thomas'
Church at North Sydney. More parishes were established as the population
grew. After 1859 residents of Middle Harbour, now Seaforth, attended
Church of England services in Manly. As the population increased
in the Middle Harbour area the need arose for a closer, more convenient
place of worship. In 1871 parishioners began holding their own church
services in a room in Peter Ellery's home overlooking the Spit.
Ellery was a pioneer of the district who operated a ferry service
across the Spit in the late 1840s. Donations were collected for
the cost of acquiring land and constructing a church. Peter Ellery
offered a piece of land and the foundation stone was laid in 1873.
The church was designed in the Victorian gothic style by Alfred
Cook and completed in 1875 and was known as St Paul's Middle Harbour.
From 1906 this area was known as Seaforth. The present St Paul's
Church, designed by Lloyd Wynn was officially opened by the Most
Rev. H.R. Gough, Archbishop of Sydney on 30 April 1961.The original
sandstone church, with a new tile roof, has been incorporated as
a chapel and holds many memorials.
courtesy: Manly Art Gallery & Museum
21 Dalwood Avenue, Seaforth
1928, A.E. Dalwood donated his property to the Food for Babies Fund
which cared for mothers and babies from disadvantaged families.
In 1932 Dalwood Home was incorporated as a secondschedule public
hospital and later brought under the control of Manly-Warringah
Area Health Service. Since 1992, Dalwood Home has been the responsibility
of Manly Hospital and its range of services has been expanded. Currently
there is a family care centre, day care centre, assessment centre
and school for country children. The principal building is heritage
listed. The original sandstone building was erected as a family
retreat by Theodore Gurney, a Professor of Mathematics at Sydney
University. He named it Clavering after the village in Essex where
his father had been vicar. After Gurney's return to England in 1902
the building lay vacant for many years. It was acquired by A.E.
Dalwood who sold off the land surrounding this grand home in 1922.
He retained the house and a small acreage around it. Theodore Gurney
and A.E. Dalwood are remembered by Seaforth street names, Gurney
Crescent, Clavering Road and Dalwood Avenue.
courtesy: Seaforth Public School and Manly Library